Employment Type: Full-Time
Role:Finance & Accounting Manager
Location: New York
Context provides scholarly tours & experiences for curious people. Founder-led & bootstrapped until 2017, the company recently raised growth funding to deepen its offering, build out an executive team & expand globally to 100+ cities. We re in 50 cultural capitals & have the highest customer satisfaction score in the industry, with an NPS of +90.
We re building the go-to brand for tours & activities worldwide. It s a $10bn market with lots of fragmentation, no brands, & limited ability for operators to innovate customer experience with technology & data.
A certified B-Corp, we re building a global community of employees, docents (guides) & customers in the cities we live in and the cities we visit through a shared love of learning, discovery, history & culture. We offer team members unlimited vacation & Context tours, healthcare, & 401k.
Role Description Finance & Accounting Manager (with CPA)
Your responsibilities will include:
- Financial/ Accounting functions
- Owning the monthly financial close process from A to Z; (fantastic accountant on team to help with this)
- Getting the company audit ready (proper revenue and expense recognition, clean-up of balance sheet accounts, etc.);
- Reviewing bank and credit card statements, approving payments, managing cardmembers;
- Reviewing and approving Accounts Payable (with an eye towards our burn and cash management), issue resolution;
- Serving as a key stakeholder in all large purchase decisions; work with functional leaders on decisions, approve spend and ensure right option for us;
- Preparing budgets and mid-year reforecasts;
- Board and Management Reporting
- Ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of financial statements
- Preparing management and board level reporting of actuals and variance reports to budget with key takeaways;
- Building and maintaining cashflow projection model;
- General Controllership functions
- Establishing processes and internal controls;
- Managing the year-end tax process (coordination with external accounting firm);
- Preparing and submitting all State and Local compliance filings; managing all annual reports for legal entities.
- HR/ administrative issues
- Owning our core contracts - offer letters, contractor agreements, PIIAs, NDAs & lead or participate in negotiations as needed, keep well-organized and filed
- Liaising with our international EORs and payroll providers
- Consulting external counsel on international labor law issues
- Proactively managing all team benefits - healthcare, 401K, new programs. (Have the EQ to take a human-centered approach to benefits design.)
- Ad Hoc Projects
- Working cross-functionally on various strategic, operational, HR, and compliance projects and delivering highest level of client service;
- Becoming a strategic partner to each business leader at the company.
Who are you reporting to? CFO
Questions you should answer as you consider this role:
- Will you enjoy a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment?
- Do you get a rush from making order out of chaos? Can you take complex problems and create processes around them?
- Are you good at accounting and want more FP&A and operating experience?
- Can you thrive in an environment where you ll work alone for stretches but also be a key stakeholder in a number of highly collaborative, cross-functional projects?
- Do you want to be part of an awesome team that s building and disrupting the travel experience economy?
- CPA required (or on track for CPA license in 2020)
- At least 4 years of overall experience.
- Quickbooks and Excel skills
- Detail-oriented and ability to work with a high level of independence
- Process building & familiarity with software tools & systems
- Practitioner of the growth mindset & desire to work in a mission-oriented company
- Clear communicator and original thinker with personal and professional goals
- High Integrity: you re mature enough to handle the most sensitive information at a company
Your eye for seeing the big picture will be essential in improving the overall workflow and business processes of the accounting function (and company as a whole). Your superior attention to detail, strong organizational skills and flexibility in a high energy environment will go a long way to helping you be successful in our rapidly growing company.
Bonus Points for the Following:
- Big four or public accounting background
- In-house experience at a fast-paced start-up
- E-commerce or travel industry experience
- Operational/ shared services experience
Loading some great jobs for you...